Whether you love a fresh, preppy look or you're looking to have at least one thing in your closet that isn't black, summer is the perfect time to add color to your wardrobe. Here are a few subtle and bold ways to liven up your look.
1. A scarf! Tie a pretty scarf around a handbag, your hair, your waist, or around your neck as God intended it. You'd be amazed what it can do to a plain t-shirt or a pair of jean shorts.
We love this cobalt blue scarf tied to a cream bag and popped with turquoise and orange accents. That blue scarf takes the handbag from cute to rich in seconds.
2. Speaking of handbags, they make color super easy and fun! Don't worry about being matchy-matchy with your outfit; matching your handbag to your shoes is blasé these days. Imagine the statement this pretty Trina Turk (the girl knows her color combinations) handbag could make with a black or chocolate brown dress.
For all-season color, opt for stripes rather than floral. Red leather accents give this colorful purse timeless appeal.
What a difference the kelly green handles make on this Coach bag. Definitely a summer bag, its rope patterned fabric would bring Chesapeake charm to a white ensemble.
3. Belts! Cinch your dress or color block your look without looking like a clown. A pretty belt, or even a scarf worn as a belt adds interest and shape to your wardrobe. Imagine this adorable outfit without the fun of its red belt.
4. Jewelry punctuates an outfit with both style and mood. Bright baubles add energy to your look.
5. Still feeling shy about color? How about some bright shoes? These yellow satin shoes ring femininity and are easily paired with black, white, or denim for a flirty look.
We also love the pops of red in these nautical little ballet flats.
6. Finally, you can go bold by choosing bold fabrics and prints. The late Lilly Pulitzer brought bright colors to her collections, and with that generations of women dressing with youthful elegance. Think Jackie Kennedy (a Lilly fan herself): chic sophistication.
We hope you're inspired to liven things up in your wardrobe!